A Town Apart
enter the sandbox
What do I mean by a “sandbox” game?
- Expect no overarching DM-contrived metaplot. Clues to mysteries, both current and historical, will certainly be scattered about, but there is no imperative for the PCs to do any particular thing.
- The story is about what the players do. Their focus is the center of the campaign.
- Stuff happens even when the PCs aren’t there to see it. Not only does the gameworld march on, I will devise (logical) consequences for PC actions.
For maximum enjoyment as a player, here’s a couple of pointers:
- Have a goal for your character, and be ready to act whenever opportunities present themselves, in order to further that goal. A simple (or grandiose) ambition will do, as long as your PC keeps working toward it.
- If a foe or challenge looks too lethal, it may very well be. In the absence of a script, avoiding no-win situations is left solely to your informed judgment. There is no prophecy plot-net guaranteeing your PC’s survival.